This is a spectacular crowd pleaser. The original recipe created by Gene Sulit contained Tequila, crème de cassis, lime juice and soda water. The updated version we are familiar with today was created in the early 1970s by Bobby Lazoff and Billy Rice at the Trident restaurant in Sausalito, California.
The unique layering effect catches the eye as well as the taste buds.
- 2 measures Tequila
- 3 measures freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¾ measure pomegranate (grenadine) syrup
- Orange wheel and cherry to garnish
How to serve it
- In a mixing glass, add the Tequila and orange juice.
- Add plenty of ice and shake.
- Strain into a Collins glass filled with ice.
- Pour the syrup in a circle around the top of the drink to create the sunrise effect.