A classic drink with a glass named after it, the Old Fashioned became popular in the late 19th Century in the heart of Bourbon country, Kentucky USA. If I get asked to prepare a Whiskey cocktail, Old Fashioned style, I know I’m serving a connoisseur.
For lovers of Bourbon and Mad Men, this is Don Draper's drink.
How to serve it
- In an Old-fashioned glass, add one shot of Bourbon and 2 ice cubes, stir.
- Add the syrup, aromatic bitters and 2 more ice cubes, stir.
- Add 2 more ice cubes and the rest of the Bourbon.
- Stir again, add more ice.
- Garnish with a lemon or orange twist.