Edward Balcius, Brand Ambassador for D1 London Dry Gin, shows us how to make a dramatic flaming Gin Blazer cocktail, in the new Peony room of Opium in London's Chinatown.
You will need:
• 70ml D1 London Dry Gin
• 10ml Giffard Crème de Cassis
• 2 silver-plated tankards with handles (you could also use heat-resistant jugs or small saucepans).
• Blow torch or long matches
• Serving glass
• Orange zest
What to do:
• Combine the Gin and Crème de Cassis in a tankard, and light the mixture
• Pour the lit liquid from one tankard to the other
• Once warm, pour into the serving glass and garnish with the orange zest
If you'd prefer to take the safer option at home, simply heat the Gin and Crème de Cassis for a few minutes in a pan, until some of the alcohol has evaporated, then serve with the garnish.
"Hay my name is Edward; I am the Brand Ambassador for D1 Gin. We are here at Peony the new room in Opium in London Chinatown, and I'm going to be making Gin Blazer, a twist on the classic Blue Blazer the first flaming cocktail made by Jerry Thomas.
"We're going to use 70 mils of D1 London Dry and 10 mils of Giffard's Crème de Cassis. And then blaze it up! And we're going to garnish it with a twist of orange. And there you go - Gin Blazer."